Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Coca Cola in Italy

One evening while dining out with my husband in Rome, we came upon this wonderful little family run restaurant and decided to go in.
What an evening. The waiters from all over the restaurant came to entertain us. They were funny and very giving. They all said we love Americanos and they showed it.
While taking our time and going over an extensive menu I saw Coca cola, that's what they call it there, never just coke.
I used to be one of the most loyal coca cola drinkers there ever was, but I lost so much respect for the company, when in the 80's they tried to change the recipe and when that didn't work, they told us, "hey, we have gone back to the original recipe." Yeah, right," it never tasted the same to me.
For years, I saved a can that said sugar as one of the ingredients.
So for whatever reason, I ordered one out of the blue that night. I took a big drink and I swear I thought I heard snap, crackle and pop coming from my throat. My eyes watered and I gasped. My husband looked at me with concern and asked what was wrong. I said, "I am not sure, but I think this is the original coke, back when it was made with sugar and not corn syrup. Back when it was a great drink.
The old coke used to be such a high, you could feel it and it was good.
I tried to read the ingredients and called our friendly waiter over, could you tell me this word please, I asked. It is sugar he says, while making his brow work overtime. Why? I asked him, " this isn't corn syrup is it?" And he looked almost indignent, no no no, we don't use that here, we use real sugar.
A few years ago I stopped buying coke altogether except for a special occasion when we would have guests that would want it.
"Why", you ask, well, if you believe it or not, corn syrup tricks our brain into wanting more. It is an appetite stimulant.
If you look at all the ingredients in our food nowadays, there it is over and over. And Americans have become a population with dangerous health concerns. Just look at the kids nowadays. More food and less exercise than we always had.
Doubt me....go off any kind of a soda for one month. Diet and regular, drink only unsugared tea, water, tomato juice and small amounts of other juice.
Then go buy a six pack of regular coke and drink just one a day. I bet you, your appetite will florish.
I tried this a few months back with just the small cans. One six pack and I drank one a day. That week, I could have eaten a horse.
When I went off, my appetite went back to normal.
The same for diets drinks, the ingredients do the same thing to you.
American has been tricked into believing diet drinks are good for you. Not so, a large portion of the people that drink them have a problem with weight, but drinking diet drinks has not helped in losing weight one bit.
I was one of those people. You are not drinking the calories, but your appetite has flourished.
Also, using any kind of a fake sugar will exacerbate problems you might have with pain. And many other medical problems such as IBS.
Since being diagnosed with Fibro, I had to become re-educated for my survival. I was doing all the wrong things to be healthy.
Since going off of fake sugars, my arthritis has improved and I now can actually pick up items without dropping them.
I have had to investigate and study health issues and find the correct answers to help myself.
I jokingly told my husband one night that I think stimulating bad health in Americans is because they don't want us to live long enough to collect our social security.
Another thing we found funny in Italy was, when you ordered water, they always asked, "gas or no gas." It cracked me up.
I am a no gas by the way.
Like I had written earlier, you have to look long and hard to find an overweight person in Italy. When they start to age some and can't get around as well, you will find a few with a few pounds extra, but not like here. They eat big, they eat well, and drink wine daily. They don't have alot of junk foods in their stores and they walk, boy, do they walk.
After 16 days there and eating like they do. And walking like they do, we didn't gain a pound. Their meals are so big that some days, we only ate two because we were still full from the previous meal.
They eat lots of fruit and veggies and have pasta everyday, sometimes two or three times, bread at every meal. Their servings aren't as big as we would dish out though.
They had meat, their Tuscan beef is amazing. Their appetizers are not fried like ours. They eat cheese and meat alot.
They don't have preservatives and hormones in their food normally.
Overall, I think they do have it right.
Their farmers markets are incredible, I wish I had the opportunity to shop in them daily. Their vegetables look incredible.
We went to a fish market and what a treat that was.
I think a way of living says it all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home