Sunday, April 13, 2008

A PBS Special "Carrier"

So many of my classmates fathers were in the military and we all seem to have a special place in our hearts for the different branches of the services that I thought this upcoming special might be of an interest to some.
I, myself, hold the US NAVY close to my heart since my dad served in the Navy and was at Pearl Harbor part of the time and now my husband, a Marine, holds a job with the NAVY at that very location. My dad would be very proud indeed.

But it also feels very good to know that so many of my classmates also served their country and to this day are very proud as they should well be. This showed so well when some came over to visit Pearl Harbor we had fun looking up the ships that have such a connection to our families.

Now PBS is showing a 10 part series on the life aboard an Aircraft carrier, The Nimitz, in current times. The film crew had amazing access to the ship and her crew.
They are following several of the crew members, from the lowest job on up. They are delving into their personal lives and how these young people are serving their country.
These crew members came from poor to middle class families and it has actually saved many of them from lives of crime and possible death. It has made wonderful citizens of them. It is wonderful to hear them speak of now having personal pride and goals.
They are showing some of the conflicting feelings they have about this war and how they are handling it. The separations from their families for very long periods is also a subject.
On one of the programs, it shows them coming into Pearl Harbor for a memorial service. If you look closely in the background, you will see my neighborhood, although I am not there waving to them like I normally do.
So, if you can and want to watch, the series starts on April 27, 2008 called "Carrier" on PBS.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Monday, April 21, 2008 7:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home