Friday, February 24, 2006

That One Special Teacher

Did you have someone that made such a difference in your life in school, that you still think of them? That one teacher that took a little extra time or helped in any special way, or opened doors that you didn't know could be opened. That maybe turned your life around or made things a little clearer for you?

After struggling in Jr. High English, I thought I would be behind forever. Then my Freshman and Sophomore years, I had two wonderful young women that turned my life around and got me caught up with the world. I am forever grateful to them and I hope they know of the appreciation I hold.

The two young women were Miss Nancy Kivett and Miss Sandra Pennock. I think being fresh out of college, they knew how to touch us and communicate.
I remember Miss Kivett as being kind of shy, but ever so intelligent and Miss Pennock roaring into town in her little white sports car, top down, with her scarf flying out behind her and dressed to the nines, and all the while wearing those 4 inch heels. I know about 80% of the guys in school were totally captivated by her. Being from the Northside of Indianapolis, she suddenly added lots of class to our little school.

Do you have that one teacher that made a difference for you?

4 Comments:

Blogger Greybeard said...

Comments about Miss Kivett made me remember the day she fell in class. She was walking between the rows of desks and just got her feet tangled up somehow, and fell.
She was so shy.....it embarrassed her terribly.

Sunday, February 26, 2006 1:00:00 PM  
Blogger Purple Tabby said...

I remember that day, GB. Mr. Colgrove came in to tell us to pipe down after she left! She was so embarrassed I didn't think she would ever come back

Miss Kivet and Miss Pennock were terrific and so was Mr. Bridges. I really wanted to be an English teacher but events over-ruled that notion. College was too expensive for Mother (she and Daddy had divorced by then. I wasn’t mature enough to go to college then anyway). Nurses training was $750 for 36 months of room, board, books and uniforms. Hard to argue with those numbers.

Mr. Lydic was wonderful too. He taught us so much more than Latin. He liked to interject little lessons about life in the class. Thank goodness I took his typing class! I had NO idea how handy that little skill would become.

I really enjoyed geometry with Mrs. Clements. That was the first time I remember enjoying anything that had to do with math.

Monday, February 27, 2006 10:01:00 AM  
Blogger Flygirl said...

Miss Kivet was the best! She was such a breath of fresh air in CGHS and I also remember her falling in class. However, I did adore Mrs. Callahan, that dizzy, daffy, absent-minded, wonderful English teacher. I had her 1st period of my senior year and most mornings, she had no idea where she was or who she was teaching...what a dear!

Mrs. Clements always frightened me with her intelligence and no-nonsense manner...makes me quiver just thinking about her classes. Plus, I never got Algebra and she gave up on me. But I loved Geometry...I understood it!

Always Loved Mr. Colegrove...

How about Mr. Hickman? Anybody remember him?

And forget Mr. Roush in 8th grade english! He hated me!

Lots of Good, Bad and the Ugly back then.

Monday, February 27, 2006 5:13:00 PM  
Blogger the golden horse said...

Yep, Mr. Roush made my life hell also. I did learn about bikes, golf, Germany and sailing from him though. Then when I got to be a senior, and the teachers choose who they wanted for their secretary to type tests, etc. guess who picked me? I think I gave him stink eye for the whole year for that.

Was anyone in the math class with me when poor Mr. Graves, who always blushed so heavily when he had to talk with girls, came to class and was standing there in front of us with his fly open? No one knew what to do, so one of the guys, knocked on his desk, and ran to the door and called him out to tell him. The poor guy came back in absolutely beet red. I felt so sorry for him.

Monday, February 27, 2006 5:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home